Monday, February 16, 2009

Winter Wonderland


I admit, I'm hesitant to create another weather-related post. Many of our readers are in colder, snowier, icier, more frost-bitten climates, and it comes across as boastful to comment on Virginia definitions of "winter."

However... I thought you would all be entertained by this:

On January 20, the Virginia Beach public schools had a snow day. This was not because there was anything like snow on the ground, but because the previous day the news stations had mentioned the word "snow" several times. And the word "snow" was sometimes coupled with the word "inches." So the schools celebrated a snow day much the way we celebrate Washington's birthday today - kind of like a party when the guest of honor (in this case, snow) could not actually attend.

So today, President's Day, was determined to be a "make up day" for the "snow" day. But today, there was actually snow on the ground! Not much, mind you, but a dusting... and in my neighborhood, some ice as well.

Such is life in Virginia Beach.

There is currently legislation in the House to bus children to Michigan on snow days, to guarantee that these days will be used properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say something about our abundance of snow and you know...all those snow vs. none stuff...but then I realized that I got the pleasure of being tracked on this post...and I was happy.