Monday, November 9, 2009

Why Blogs Die (and, My Continuing Education)

Why do blogs die? I believe the a consistent commitment to writing is difficult because it requires time, focus, and honesty. The first two requirements are obvious. Regarding honesty, I'm not saying that dis-honesty kills blogs necessarily; but sometimes it is inappropriate to share with the whole world one's current, deepest thoughts.

It's kind of like any relationship, I suppose.

The first blog I started was Bible in the Basement and, way back in the day, I was pretty regular about writing on it and was surprised at how many people read it. I had expected zero, and the number edged above that. However, time commitments radically changed due to pregnancy, sickeness, and moving, and that blog had to retire its jersey. Smarty experienced similar upheaval.

Lately, it's been hard to write because I've been embroiled in continuing education classes that have taken a toll on my resources. Not much extra time. Very little mental and emotional energy remaining. And, to be honest...well, I probably shouldn't share that.

So, I thought that for the time being I'd share the classes I've been taking over the last year. They include:

1. Christianity 101
2. Pastoral Leadership Revisited
3. How to Preach To Self and Others
4. Spiritual Gifts Assessment
5. Christianity 101 (had to audit this one again)
6. The Discipling Pastor
7. EmoHealth

And a few others in the marriage & family category, too.

So, I've been learning a lot and I'd like to be able to share some of what I've learned sometime soon.

Uh oh, gotta go.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Yeah...no one seems to update their blog anymore. Sad day :(

Ken said...

I just did!

Joel said...

EmoHealth, as in you're learning to connect with teen emo kids who listen to emo music and dress emo-ly? I guess us old folks could brush up on the latest fads, eh?