Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Overheard in the Dismal Swamp

Yesterday, Cheryl and I took a walk along the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail. This is located near the Great Dismal Swamp, which is not to be confused with the Great Swamp -- where we used to live in New Jersey.

This is a stock photo of the Great Dismal Swamp's Canal Trail:


No vehicles are permitted, although we snuck the baby stroller on. Dogs are apparently allowed, though, and they had a great time. It also led to this brief conversation:

Man in group: What kind of dogs are those?
Man walking two dogs with wife and baby (proudly): Whippets.
Man in group: What? Wiglets?
Man walking two dogs with wife and baby: No, whippets!

I've had whippets confused with greyhounds before, as in "Are those greyhounds?" or "Hey, did you rescue those?" But never with "wiglets."

So, just for review, then. This is a whippet:


And this is a wiglet:

3 comments:

Carol said...

Haha. That's a good one. Did I tell you about the time I was walking Telly and some man very authoritatively declared that she was a canine?! I agreed.

KOphotography Karen Oglesby said...

Hey brother..
very funny as usual. Hope you guys had a great Christmas. I feel bad that I haven't called but I knew you were out of town so didn't know when you'd be back..then I got lazy.
Cullen is just as adorable as ever! Hope everyone liked their Christmas photo gifts from the little guy!
talk with you soon... and Happy New Year!

Cheryl said...

Karen -- yes, the pictures were a big huge hit!