Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weeds

Sunday I preached a sermon in which I likened covetousness to a horrible weed growing in our lawn. You cannot pluck the weed out of the ground, you have to dig beneath it - where you find things like idolatry and dissatisfaction with God. (See here, here, and here.)

So imagine my surprise when, that very afternoon, I came home to find this bizarre growth in my backyard:


What is that? Let's take a closer look.


I'm going to have to think about that sermon a little bit more.

6 comments:

Joni Scott said...

Greed is pretty?

Anonymous said...

Very interesting how that grew. What is it?

Ken said...

Joni, well, that's the question. Is that thing pretty? Or is it a baby version of the plant from "Little Shop of Horrors"?

Joel said...

that's one crazy looking plant. have you figured out what it is yet?


ps. bring back word verification!

Anonymous said...

That looks sort of like my cleome. It's certainly not a weed-at worst, it's a wildflower!

KOphotography Karen Oglesby said...

Ken..
hmmmmm that is some story.. but I think that is a flower also... maybe you have no weeds in your life.. just beautiful flowers!!! I don't know..but let us know when you know.