Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What I'm Reading

I wish I was like my friend Jeff, who blogs about books he has finished. I, on the other hand, can only blog about books I'm currently reading and hoping to finish.

Here are books that I am reading with friends:

My friend Tom and I are reading the book of Amos, which is part of the Hebrew Bible - i.e., Old Testament. Unlike Jeff, we are reading in translation instead of in the original Hebrew. Sigh. Today I read those famous words cited by Martin Luther King Jr., "But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream" (5:24).



My friend Adam and I are reading "Humility" by C.J. Mahaney. A short book, odds are good that I'll finish it. But reading about humility and actually being humble are two very different things. Cheryl's reading this one, too!










Joel and I are reading "Communion with the Triune God" by John Owen, a 17th century English Puritan. It has been useful devotional reading, but Owen is not easy. I sometimes grow impatient with his outline, which is like a giant literary maze. Fortunately the book is well edited and provides clues concerning how to get through the maze. Will we? At a chapter a week, we have about two months to go.







"Shapes" is a pleasant book that I'm reading with Cullen. Kind of like the Owen book, above, but with bright pictures and far fewer words. I would say this one is a must-read. I'm hoping to finish soon!

2 comments:

Joni Scott said...

I'd like to borrow Shapes when you're done. It looks excellent.

Meanwhile.. I would like to advise you to check relatives blogs at least once a week and leave a comment for every posting. We all know next-of-kin can be ornery creatures, and it is better not to awaken thier ire.

KOphotography Karen Oglesby said...

Ken,.
I'm all about that shapes book. That's about all I'll get though in the next year.. that and "Ten in the Bed"... that's my favorite!